View Single Post
      09-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
Baremeg55
Private First Class

Drives: 2012 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n
so my friend from korea got relocated here for work. we found him a place but we are having a huge difficulties with auto insurance. here are the possibilities we tried but exhausted.

1. get insurance through the company: because this is a start up company in the us, they are not offering it.

2. get insurance from same insurance company from korea: they wanted to charge $814 a month

3. shop for any car insurance in us: $10,000+ a year

i guess this is because he does not have driving history here in the states?

any other ways on getting him insurance? i was thinking i can put his lease under my name and he would pay me upfront for the entire term but then it came to me the insurance would be under my name, in the event he got in an accident or tickets my insurance would go up. so that is a no go...

you guys got any other ideas?
One thing I've done moving overseas and back is have each insurance company write a letter, basically stating (factual) that I/we have had NO CHARGEABLE accidents while insured, and providing dates of coverage.

For anyone being transferred to Europe, this will save you tremendous amounts of money on your auto insurance. For instance, in the UK, you get 10% discount per year of accident free (non-chargeable) driving, maxed out at 60%. In Norway, it maxes out at 70%. Obviously, the USA will never consider such a heavily discounted program as does Europe. Imagine paying only 30% of your current rate if the USA adopted such a heavy discounted program. As I recall, first accident you loss 0 or 10% of the discount, next accident within the next year or two drops like another 20% from your discount.

But back to my point, perhaps IF your friend drove a car in his home country, he could obtain a letter from his insurance company stating he had driven x number of years without a chargeable accident, if indeed this is the case. He might be able to parlay that into lower rates, maybe not, but worth a try.