View Single Post
      09-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States

Drives: BMW 2010 M3 Coupe

BMW M Performance Exhaust

I've had the exhaust for 10 months and I've noticed what appears like "kinks" on the polished tips. These kinks look like slight bends different from radius of the opening so you can actually see a variation in curvature. Curl your index finger and then look from the side at your knuckles. Note how the radius changes at the knuckle. This is what I am describing. The exhaust is great, I never had any paint flakes, but this kinking or folding detracts from the looks. I may have BMW warranty the exhaust.

*** Took another look, the kink happens where there is a seam on the tip. If you look at the inside of the tips each one has a seam. Clearly the tips are fabbed by rolling a piece of titanium plate and then welding it. A bad heat treatment and I can see how deformation, even possibly a crack might form. Time for a warranty claim in November. ***
2010 BMW M3 Coupe M-DCT w/Tech-EDC, BMW M Performance Exhaust, BPM: Stage I / Euro MDM / DCT / Steering, Space Gray / Fox Red Extended, and a Trunk Monkey known as "Der Stig", plus the daily driver...
2011 BMW 135i M Sport DCT, w/BMW Performance Power Kit, Exhaust, and Brake Rotors, Space Gray / Coral Red, known as "Stiggie" with an outlaw F20 "M135i" badge.

Last edited by ///M Rakete; 09-08-2012 at 05:21 PM.