Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
Great thread as always Mike! There's always a pack of information and something to be learned!

I can't wait to see the continuous progress of this motor!

If I recall correctly, and I don't mean to speak for Mike, but I think this car will be using a stand-alone. Not sure who's doing the tuning though.

What I want to see is a 4.4L S65 with aggressive cams and headwork properly tuned on the MSS65 DME. ... with stepped-long tube headers for auditory sake, haha.
You mean MSS60 DME - the MSS65 powers the S85 V10 Motor.

Personally I am a fan of using the stock engine management system, but a finely tuned standalone (although a lot more work) will do the trick. Experience with tuning the factory vanos profiles seems to be hit or miss. But I can tell you first hand that the MSS6x DME + Cams, with a properly amended vanos profile can make some serious power. I worked on an E60 M5 that had Schrick cams and it went from 420 baseline to 464whp with some dyno tuning and particular vanos changes to account for the different camshafts. It's also very important that whoever installs the camshafts does it properly, I have seen too many cars with the cam timing off due to improper installation. VAC is certainly on top of things, and I'm excited to see this build progress.

I used to live pretty close to VAC (this was 7 years ago though) and have been there a few times. My roomate in college, Steve Small, used to work there (around the time that the owner passed away), and I have always enjoyed vising the shop and seeing all of the serious eye candy there.

Keep up the good work!

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----