View Single Post
      09-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
Brian_VACsales
Captain
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 VF Supercharged, 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
Very nice, great Job guys. Just wondering why would you sleeve an S65 if you are just stroking it for an NA setup. Just curious !
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
Probably because they either don't have the equipment to properly bore an Alusil block, or, they don't want to use Mahle Alusil pistons and rings.

Edit: A third possibility that I never thought of until it was pointed out by a friend of mine was using sleeves to save an engine with a bore damaged beyond what a re-bore could correct. Basically if an engine failed and damaged a bore, sleeves could be used to save an otherwise unusable block.
Some comments on sleeves:
http://www.vacmotorsports.com/blog/a...ur-bmw-engine/

We have the resources to offer any S65 solution, but re-coating the bores can get expensive. Dropping in Mahle pistons is an easy solution as well.

Quick tidbit: Alusil is a brand owned by Kolbenschmidt Pierburg AG. Nikasil is a brand owned by Mahle.

Our client requested sleeves since he will be beating this engine HARD and they offered some extra security. (The engine was in good shape btw) We have had 100% success with CP Pistons and either Darton or LA Sleeve solutions, so its a no brainer.

Last edited by Brian_VACsales; 09-02-2012 at 06:47 PM.