View Single Post
      09-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
jagman
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 Alpine White E92 M3

Please Help Identifying Akrapovic Exhaust

I bought a 2008 E92 M3 last week. It came with an Akrapovic exhaust. I'm trying to determine what exactly was done. It appears to not be the slip on but it also looks different than the photos of the full Evolution kit on the Akrapovic webstite. Please help me determine what I have going on. I took a series of photos working from the rear to the front of the exhaust system. Thank you to all in advance for your thoughtful input.

Tips:

Muffler:

View towards the front from the rear. Note the change in color of the pipes once they become parallel and close to each other. There is a segment roughly 16" (by eye) that looks stainless steel and it is not the larger diameter piece on the Akrapovic photo. The rest of the pipes have that same almost bronzelike hue:

Here is a close up of the lead up to the part welded in. Again this segment has a larger diameter in the photo on the Akrapovic website but does not have a larger diameter than the rest of the pipe on my car.

Here is a complete shot of the part welded in.

This is the part welded in going forward. You can see this definitely has an "X" pipe.

Here is the front part of the "X" pipe looking rearward.

Lastly this is the part just forward of the "X" pipe. This also looks different than the photo on the Akrapovic website.

I think the exhaust is more than a slip on since it has the "X" pipe, but it also looks like maybe the second cat was deleted? Is that correct? What about what looks like the first cat? That also looks different.

I ask all of this because a.) I'd like to know what I have, but b.) I'm thinking about flashing the car with the ESS tune designed for the Akrapovic exhaust but I want to be sure I can with this exhaust. Lastly, I'm thinking about getting a new intake air filter. I think those mods should be a great start.

I greatly appreciate any and all help.
2008 Alpine White E92 M3: Remote Stage I and DCT tune by BPM Sport (Mike Benvo), remote convenience coding + coding for mDrive w/Euro MDM (no iDrive!!!) & alarm retrofit also by by BPM Sport, Fox Red interior, Akrapovic Slip-On exhaust, resonator delete, carbon fiber BMW badges, black grills, black OEM M3 ZCP 19" wheels
jagman is offline   United_States