08-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #53
Killerfish2012
Major

Drives: BMW 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFish View Post
This I found interesting....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen

M3 SC against a bunch of GTRs, and 997TTs all modded.

Suffice to say, the M3 SC is just as fast... with all the creature comforts and room we have come to love from a 3 series.

Resale, or scrap value (in the case of an accident) would be the issue on modding ANY car. I am getting next to nothing for the mods I have done to the 335, in fact it is harder to sell because everyone things you drove the nuts off it, and you typically do - which is why you did it.

Anyway, lots to think about when you are putting this kind of cash out.

I think back to why I did the 335 upgrades and it was for M3 or better performance, for less than the M3 price. It certainly did that in a straight line.

If I am modding a M3 to a GTR or 997TT performance level - what do you lose?

1) Resale - as I mentioned.
2) what about insurance? You have to tell your insurance company of the mods - right? What hit do you have on that?
3) Any other ones?

GTR - 0 to 60 is just unmatched though with the 4 wheel drive. Pulling out of corners with WOT, I bet this is unmatched too. Pulling out in front of traffic would be something else in the GTR, blink, your speeding.

I would think it would come down to
1) M3 - SC
2) GTR - slight mods (I need to check out the space inside that car).

Loving the discussion everyone - thanks for the replies.
Interesting how your decision is being weighed heavily by straight line roll-on drag racing. Great for determining which cars have high trap speeds, but nothing else. This is more of how I would evaluate my choices, with my nod going more to the Z06 these days:

Skip all the nonsense and start at 3:43

Cobb AP, K&N, AA Catless DP, AA Custom Hybrid Axlebacks, ETS 5" FMIC, BMS dp fix V3, Meyle HD; Tie Rod Assembly, Control Arms, Fr/Rr Swaybar End Links. Koni Yellow Shocks, Megan Race Strut Bar, Wavetrac LSD, Ar design Oil cooler, 1M Water Pump, Low Temp Engine Thermostat, Zimmerman Cross drilled Rotors, Textar Brake Pads, Pilot Sport Cup Tires, Valentine 1