View Single Post
      08-29-2012, 08:56 PM   #30
Brigadier General

Drives: 2015 F80 M3 ED

Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Pads/fluid and a little air are probably all the car needs until you're serious about doing repeatable lap times and at that point it's smarter to get something that doesn't have a trunk or a roof or windows any of that other useless crap on it.
After 2 hot days at VIR, I tend to agree.

I made my "firehose" (meaning non-directed) cooling ducts awhile ago and found them satisfactory for Shenandoah, and maybe ok at Summit Main.

At VIR, using 265/285 RS-3's and RS-19 pads with (maybe not so fresh) Super Blue, I had to start managing the brakes as soon as I picked up some speed. If I was full on the gas and started my braking around the 1-1.5 marker on the back straight (and similarly on the front straight), it would work for only 2 laps, after which I started losing brake capacity. Heck for one glorious lap I even braked after the 1 marker - but it just wasn't consistent.

At the same time, at least to my non-trained foot it didn't seem that the mismatch was huge - so maybe a small improvement can tilt it the other way.
Of course there are other potential factors at play - driver, braking style, fluid etc.

OEM backing plate scoops look like they might help too - but I wonder if their diameter is too small for the M3...

There's one more idea - to emulate the GT3's directional scoops which are attached to the lower control arm - I saw a few Boxsters at VIR which had these plastic scoops. I'm thinking I might try my hand at a bit of aluminum or plastic manufacturing...

I mean, I'm not sure I want to invest 10% of the car's value into a BBK, or trade the M for a Porsche which would put me in the hole far worse. As long as these small projects remain small and not too challenging, I'll keep doing them.

2015 F80 ED
2004 Z4 3.0
2014 X1 28i ED