Originally Posted by SCHMOUPE
Originally Posted by Crypty
Being that this is one of the only forums I belong to, and because BMW owners ought to have some good experience on the topic, please lend some advice!
I've been working for almost 3 years for my company though only ~8 months full time. I am making a good salary as a software developer but feel I am worth more. I interviewed at another company and it went very well. They should be offering me an 11-18% increase over my current salary based on my stated requirements. This will likely happen tomorrow, in-person.
I am certain my current company will counter, so here are my questions:
-Is it reasonable to ask for more than an equal counter? Starting a second real job and getting out of my current job is worth some extra to me. How would you approach with your boss?
-I know it is fine to say "I need a day to think it over", but I know the recruiter will be up my arse about deciding. Is there anything polite I can say to buy a day to negotiate with my current place? Would it be bad to let them know I want to see what my company does before deciding?
Any advice or similar experience is appreciated! The situation is exciting but stressful and I could use help from people who have done this stuff before.
One advice, don't be a money whore. It will always end up biting you in the ass. If you want to leave, then leave. Don't try to bargain your current company for more money. If they truly thought and saw you were worth more, they would have paid you more. Move on, get the other job and always keep your options open.
I disagree. As management, you get in situations where an employee receives an offer from another firm. Sometimes, said offer exceeds your employee's current pay grade, due to any number of variables. If you value the employee, you try to keep them. Some employees want a title, others, pay, etc.... If replaceable, you let them walk.
If you have been working for this employer for a considerable length of time (years or decade plus) and are underpaid significantly, perhaps it is time to move on. But that is not your case.
I would agree on the money whore part though. Continual movement from one company to the next for slight increases in pay will eventually catch up with you. Better to find a good company, put in the effort and go after the raises, than become a whore for the highest paying John, so to speak.
I would only offer my present employer an option to match or beat the new offer only if you figure you can indeed advance thru the ranks, and want to remain employed with that company.