07-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #407
spacemonkey1112
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
I received my MkIII yesterday and I'm blown away by the improvement in the AF system vs. my 7D and MkII. I only shot around an hour yesterday and didn't find any great subjects, but the improved AF speed and accuracy was readily apparent when shooting with my bare 500mm/f4.

The control layout is way superior to the MkII and a step forward from the 7D, which it seems to be modeled after. I love the big new DOF preview button on my right hand side. I could never find the old button when I needed it.

I've read some say that the build quality is superior to the MkII. I don't see that. I had both bodies on my desk yesterday and tried to flex them with the lenses off and they're both really solid. The grip on the MkIII is a little more beefy, leading to an impression of more substance, but I think it's just larger. Peeps with larger hands will prefer it and those with small hands will regret the change. I have medium hands, so I'm "just right" with either.

After I've taken a few thousand clicks and processed some subjects that I really want to look good, I'll post a follow up. I think that my keeper rate is going to go up substantially, thanks to the quicker and more accurate AF, but you only know for sure after you completed your processing. I suspect that I'll do a lot of shooting with the 1.4x TC attached to get out to 700mm in reach. (I'll carry the 7D around my neck with the 70-200mm attached).

If critical AF is important to your photography, then the MkIII seems to be well worth the extra money.

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
Apparently you didn't look close enough. I felt the toggle switches were a little better in the 5D3 (on/off). Now when you change shooting modes you have to press down on a button. Also, the way the CF compartment opens feels much better. Did you see that the CF compartment lid is also rubberized?

Thanks for your review. I read a lot of wildlife photogs have increased their "keeper photos" percentage significantly. The AF system alone is worth the upgrade, imo. By the way, I think the price came down about $150 recently too. So, Dave, if you bought it for $3500, call B&H for a price adjustment.
If you were really to compare both the 5DII and 5D III the weather sealing is actually much better.
Below is Canon's Diagram of the 5DII sealing

This is the 5DIII' sealing -

From the above diagram's you can see that there is an improvement in the sealing around the scroll wheel, shutter wheel, and the other knob where you change from M, Av, Tv, etc... those are the major area they hit that really keep the interior parts of the camera dry. The grip yes is must more pronounce on the 5dIII than the previous generation due to that thumb indentation. I just assisted at a wedding this past weekend and even the shutter mechanism is vastly improved. the shutter sounds much more stable and in place in comparision when bursting with a 5DII. I will not say its durability is the same as the 1D, but the primary photographer of the wedding uses a 1DMkIV and even he says that the shutter mechanism sounds much more durable than the MkII.