View Single Post
      07-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #42
M_Six
Free Thinker

Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjk9671 View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with you. That’s exactly why it was written. Look what our founding fathers did. They used their weapons to overthrow their tyrannical government.

They then placed the clause in the 2nd amendment so that the people will always be armed, to keep the government in check. That is the original purpose
That's fine. You're entitled to disagree. But the evidence is against you. Early rebellions, such as Shay's Rebellion and the Whiskey Rebellion were put down with authority and even the patriots of the American Revolution decried the uprisings against the new government.

Sam Adams said:

Quote:
Rebellion against a king may be pardoned, or lightly punished, but the man who dares to rebel against the laws of a republic ought to suffer death.
And George Washington said:

Quote:
I am mortified beyond expression when I view the clouds that have spread over the brightest morn that ever dawned in any country... What a triumph for the advocates of despotism, to find that we are incapable of governing ourselves and that systems founded on the basis of equal liberty are merely ideal and fallacious.
Clearly neither Founding Father believed that the general populous had any right at all to rebel against the republic. As Sam Adams said, it's ok to rebel against a king, but rebelling against the republic is a different story.

Jefferson was famous for saying that "a little rebellion now and then is a good thing." But few historians believe he actually thought overthrowing the new government was a good thing.

The whole idea of citizens bearing arms in case they needed to overthrow the government is a load of BS created by the pro-gun lobby. Does anyone seriously believe a rebellion against the government stands any chance at all of succeeding? Has it ever?

Let me state again, I am not an anti-gun advocate. I have been a gun owner in the past, although I don't currently own one. But if you really read history and not just the propaganda from the NRA, you'll see that the 2nd Amendment *never* mentions or even implies the right to bear arms in order to overthrow the government.

"The $0.99 menu was put on this Earth for a good damn reason." -Weebl
M_Six is offline   United_States