View Single Post
      07-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #48
urbo73
Captain

Drives: cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 12 View Post
Urbo73, very well thought out post. I am a very average driver at the track and my Porsche Cayman is a great track car in that it can make an average driver look good.

As you emphasized, the M3 is a great daily driver but does carry some weight.

When I was looking to replace my 335i, I intended to get a 2010 M3 coupe but faced with a close to $1,000 lease payment I decided to shop around. I then test drove the Cayman and got a great deal on it so I became a Porsche owner. The 911 Carrera S that I liked was about $115,000 and I ended getting my Cayman S for about $70,000.

As I think more about it, the Cayman, M3 and of course the 911 are all great cars. If you own one, consider yourself fortunate.

Dave

Former car: 2007 335i. JB3
The Cayman is a great car - I had one myself when it first came out, before the M3 (along with an old 911 SC). It is also easier to drive than the 911, and that's also why it's an automotive journalist's dream (as seen in magazine reviews, rankings, etc.). The trick is not to get into a bad spin, as the mid-engine design will cause the car to spin on it's mid-axis - something very difficult/almost impossible to recover from. This is why Porsche built in a good amount of understeer in the Cayman/Boxster platforms. They do that even with the 911s, but to a lesser extent (and the rear engine compensates anyways). This understeer however, starts to slow lap times. That's why when I see Cayman on top in the mag reviews, I say - do 10-15 laps! I spoke on that above a bit.

But overall, yes, all are of course good cars, and IMHO, more than most drivers can handle (even if they think otherwise!). I see people talk about 7/10ths, 8/10ths, etc., but am not sure they know what it really means to be even 9/10ths close to the limit. I've driven some gung-ho trackers in my cars and they are surprised the car can do "more". This goes for most cars I've owned and tracked. As such, one should go with the car he/she feels most at ease with. Absolutely the right approach in my mind. Go not with what the mags or forums say (use that as a guideline with a grain of salt), but go with what YOU like and fits your lifestyle. Even if I prefer the 911 over any other street car, it's not the only car I've owned/own and not the be all, end all for everything. Quite impractical at times. I have a VW GTI as my cheap/family/"practical" car now, and I'll be the first to tell you it's a great car that you can really work out - a lot more than people think. In fact, most are surprised when I drive them in how fast and good the car can be.
urbo73 is offline   United_States