View Single Post
      07-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #11
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G

Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo

I hope you don't mind some constructive criticism.

I see you like to slide around. That's fine. But sliding around is the SLOW way to go around corners. You gave up a ton of exit speed coming onto the long front straight. A TON of exit speed. I know it looks cool and you're having fun, but really, that is the LAST place I would try and "drift" the car. You may be losing tenth of a second in going through that turn that way, but you're losing SECONDS by being 5-8mph SLOWER on the front straight by not being able to fully power down on the exit to the longest straight on a course.

Also, use the exit to pit lane. It's part of the track. In this configuration you absolutely need to put about 1/2 of your car in the exit to pit lane to keep momentum up through to the uphill braking zone for the tight ~180 turn. Again, you're giving up speed and momentum here that's easily costing you on the magnitude of seconds per lap since this is the fastest part of a relatively slow course. When done right, you just breath off the throttle momentarily and turn in IF you manage to use the exit to pit lane right.

There's a lot of fundamental problems with your driving I won't even bother point out, but the one thing you absolutely got to fix, is that shuffle steering. Again, I understand why you do it. It's far easier to catch the car right now by shuffling, and seeing how you like the car out of control and slow rather than in control and fast, it sort of works because it allows you to just let go of the steering wheel and let the car auto-correct. But as you pick up speed, and say, were this to happen at the exit to the Esses at Buttonwillow, if you don't have your hands at the 9 & 3 you probably just bought yourself a one way ticket to meet the corner worker station at the exit, because power-on oversteer there is going to require control of the vehicle to correct, the car is going TOO FAST to self-correct there.

I'm not here to try and "hate" on "having a little fun" by drifting. I can see the allure. Not my cup of tea, but I can see the allure. It's just that, as your speed pick up naturally from getting more familiar with the track, there are certain spots that will absolutely eat you up alive at most local tracks, and to quote Yoda, "If you continue down this path, forever will it dominate your destiny."
Then why do you have $3,000 worth of suspension mods on your car?
Quote:
-Overheard at the last B****rfest.