View Single Post
      06-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #12
MiddleAgedAl
First Lieutenant

Drives: M3

Forgetting the ideological/partisan implications of this (2 sides that will never agree with each other anyways), lets look at something perhaps less divisive: the cold, hard logistics of making it all work.

You dont need to look hard to find many examples of people enduring long waits to get medical procedures in places with universal health care like Canada.

Now, in a few years when all of this is more fully rolled out, we will have something on the order of 35-40 million more people who will now have coverage that didnt before. That is basically equivalent to the entire population of Canada, or almost double the population of Australia.

Who exactly is going to treat these folks who were reluctant to seek treatment before? How is it possible to pump that many new doctors, nurses, hospital beds, MRI machines, etc into the system in such a short period of time?

Of course there were some folks with no coverage who went before when they were at deaths door, so I'm not suggesting that those 40 million NEVER went to the hospital, and now they'll be going daily. However, if you must pay now to get coverage, there is no savings to be had by avoiding the doctor, so minor non-life threatening issues that people didnt seek professional treatment for previously, those folks will now be getting a lot more stuff looked at.

Without having hard quantitative numbers available, it is possible this will be seamless and trouble-free, but somehow I just think there is a big traffic jam coming in the future, I just dont know how big it will be... am I the only one who is concerned about this?

This is like making state universities free (everyone must must pay for tuition via taxes or something). If you didnt drastically increase the number of profs and classrooms, wouldnt that cause another logistics problem ?