View Single Post
      06-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #27
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister

Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_m3 View Post
OP,
That e36 may be turbocharged. I have seen a custom-made turbo setup on the S50 motor and damn it is fast.

I drive a 6-speed here, but the kickdown feature in the DCT intrigues me. Is it a button you press or do you guys move the shifter once (up? or down?), pull the downshift button once and there you go, the DCT selects the appropriate gear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha///M View Post
What is "depress the kick down button?"
Kick down is feature of most automatic transmissions. Its purpose is to select the lowest possible gear for maximum acceleration. It is activated by depressing the throttle pedal fully followed by further depression of the kick down button at the end of the throttle pedal travel. You can feel it being depressed.

Now, for M DCT, M division decided that in Sequential mode, M-car drivers would prefer as much manual control as possible, thus they disabled the kick down feature that would otherwise function as normal in D mode. But M decided to include a function within S mode that allowed instantaneous drop to the lowest gear possible for maximum acceleration, without the need to pull the downshift paddle multiple times. To achieve this (obviously you need to be in S mode already), floor the throttle and make sure the kick down button is depressed and then pull the downshift paddle once only. In practise, this is an extremely quick way of achieving maximum acceleration from a steady cruise.

This all in the supplementary M3 manual btw.

Last edited by mlhj83; 06-13-2012 at 12:00 AM.
mlhj83 is offline   United Kingdom