Brigadier General
Russian Federation
Rep

Drives: 00 RX300

NUMBER: 6.5

RELIGIOUS IDENTIFICATION: Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by litt View Post
In my view, true science and true religion are really the same thing. They are both concerned with finding and understanding truth or rather things as they really are. I think it is nieve, however, to believe that we understand the universe and to think that the small understanding that we have now won't change 200 years from now. History has shown this time and time again. But, at some point, if God does exist, then science and religion must converge in my opinion.
The amount of misinterpretation and miscategorization "science" receives is astounding. Experimental research builds on observations and empirical evidence to develop a logical understanding of the things around us. This is what makes it into widely read scientific journals, drives new technological development, and eventually ends up being taught to students. There are also theoretical scientists, which push the boundaries by making predictions which may or may not be tested and proven/disproven in the future. It is because of the ambiguity between theoretical and experimental science that the common view of science may be seen as parallel to religion, something which I would argue is structured completely differently.

The models used in physics, astrophysics, etc. are built on centuries of observation, modeling, and understanding. Galileo's 400 year work in modeling our solar system as heliocentric was criticized for years by the Catholic church before it was accepted. If various religions' models of our universe must change each time a contradictory scientific discovery is made, how much merit do they have in their other aspects?

As a side note, I've personally observed that in some cases, religion (esp. catholicism in the US) may instill a sense of economic and knowledge complacency. Those that use religion as their 'moral compass' may overlook drastic social and economic problems on which they can have a direct impact, but choose not to because of a lack of religious reward/acknowledgment. Finally, the US' education system's attitude towards religious teaching, evolution, and education about education and scientific research needs to be reformed if the U.S. is to remain strong economically a few decades down the line.

Last edited by yakev724; 06-10-2012 at 01:06 PM.