View Single Post
      05-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #18
sleepless
Private First Class

Drives: 11 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
I think he was just expecting more out of an M. The Porsches won't melt like that stock, the M3 is the worst stock brakes on a car at that price/performance point IMO.

That said, I love my M3 minus the brakes and the PFC pads do help quite a bit. Stock pads are pretty pathetic though, they literally crumble. No such crumbling on my Cayman S or other Porsches I've driven. And if you want to say well that car was 800 pounds lighter, the stock GT-R brakes are better too and it is heavier.

And it's hard to understand the difference in how hard an advanced/instructor pushes it versus a real pro until you ride with one. Strauss drives indycars after all.
Drive the Cayman hard enough and it will show you it's biggest weakness is the entire brake system. Not just the calipers, but the ABS system is not up to really hard driving. In my experience, only street cars costing more than $150K "might" have brake systems that are upto the task of hard track driving. Loti being the exception...

Even GTR owners complain about the brakes (especially pre-2012 owners).

Regarding "junior", he was a bit foolish to bring the car in with glowing hot brakes; that is what did all the burned damage.