View Single Post
      05-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
Erie Von Otto

Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2010 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011.75 BMW M3 E90  [5.00]
Bolts coming loose post spacer install...?

I purchased a new set of RS Technik wheels spacers (15/12mm) and installed them on El-Superbeasto myself. I followed the advice on the forum about cleaning the mating surfaces, adding light film of anti-seize, and used a torque wrench @90ftlbs in a star pattern to torque everything down. As per my usual habits, I checked the torque (car on ground) a few miles later and found that almost every bolt (16-18 of 20) were loose. Ok... So torqued everything down again, remember to check in a few days. Did that, and same thing. About the same number of bolts moved some near a 1/4 turn! That's about when I became concerned. I spend some time driving on the autobahn at 200+KPH routinely.

Why would these bolts continue to lose torque? I did notice that the bolts that came with the spacers had a sub-par paint job on them. They all chipped off during install. Could this be a sign of poor quality bolts? Any input? I almost feel like it would be safer to remove them. And to top it off, there is NO vibration which was my biggest initial concern...
"With great power comes great responsibility." -El-Superbeasto