View Single Post
      04-18-2012, 11:53 PM   #1
HebbNH
Resident Cacodemon Expert
Rep

Drives: 2008 AW 135i 6MT

2008 M3 coupe, thoughts on this deal?

Hi all! Somebody traded in a 2008 M3 coupe at my local Chrysler dealer (apparently for a Challenger...don't get it at all but whatever). I went to take a look at it out of curiousity, but am now seriously considering buying it. I'd love to get some of your opinions on this deal. Here are the specs on the car:

2008 Silverstone M3 coupe 6MT
Silver leather (non-extended)
Titanium shadow trim
Technology package
Heated seats
Sunroof/Moonroof/whatever
iPod/USB adaptor
Rear spoiler delete
19" 220M wheels, black
59,430 miles

If you want the tl;dr version, skip to the end now. I'm a "devil is in the details" type, so here are all the details:

Mods: Vorsteiner replica CF lip (doesn't fit well), CF roof spoiler (RD look alike probably), cracked replica CF diffuser (junk), black/white roundels (all in poor shape), CF vinyl wrapped grills (chipping badly), matte black side vents (fading badly), CF sharkfin cover (terrible weave), and exhaust cutouts which I haven't been able to examine yet. All the cheap CF junk hurts the car IMO, and would be removed/replaced if I bought it.

History: Car was originally bought July 2008 in Germany by someone stationed there. Brought back to the US in August 2010, titled in Indiana with 21k miles. Car was sold at auction in May 2011, then titled in Missouri with 42k miles in August 2011. The 2nd owner traded it in last week.

Service: 1,200 mile initial service was performed in Germany, and the car was also serviced at 9,000 miles (aside: kinda weird/cool checking the service manual and seeing the notes/stamp in German). After that things get spotty. The BMW dealerships I've gotten info from show service at 35k for a parking brake cable adjustment, and at 54k a rear wheel bearing and rear axle were replaced. Oil was also changed at 54k. I think there is another service invoice, but they dealer has everything so I'll have to recheck if/when I go back. Also didn't see anything regarding the 37k mile spark plug change. A Bavarian Technic scan shows 6 reported oil changes, 1 front and 1 rear brake change, 2 brake fluid changes, and 2 vehicle checks (not exactly sure what that entails, but it isn't a state inspection, those are listed separately). It shows 10k miles remain until oil, front brakes, and fluid are due, 20k for rear brakes, and 1.5k for another vehicle check.

Warranty: No BMW warranty or extended service plan. No other existing warranty. The Chrysler dealer offers a 2 year 100k powertrain warranty on all pre-owned vehicles, with a $200 deductible on each claim. Warranty will cover service at any SAE certified service/repair shop, but is is non-transferable should I decide to sell the car later on.

Condition: Car seemed to run just fine on the test drive. One of the service techs at the dealer is a friend of mine, and he says there are no mechanical issues whatsoever. Paint looks good, just standard swirl marks that should polish out. Two small dings, one the edge of the trunk, one toward the bottom of the driver door. Looks like PDR would take them out easily. Didn't notice any paint chips on the front end, but given how bad the grills look I plan to examine it more closely.

Price: Car is listed for $42k. I offered $35k Monday afternoon, was shot down quickly. Sales guy is very pleasant but obviously doesn't know much about the car other than it's a BMW, has a V8, and is fast. Pointed out issues with mods, offered $37k, he talked to a manager, and he said they could do $37k. Test drove it, got back and told them I wanted to sleep on it and try to get more history (all they had was an AutoCheck report). Got some service history Tuesday, and told them I wanted to BT scan the car. Did that today, found German service notes in the trunk with owners manual. I told them $37k was a no go when it would need a $3k brake job done soon, but that I wanted to take notes of what options were installed in case any of my friends would be interested. As I was finishing up and getting ready to leave, a second sales guy comes over. We chat a bit, he asks about my 135, just makes small talk. Asks what kind of financing I'd be looking at, and I tell him I planned on just buying it outright. He immediately throws out $34k. I told him that'd be in the ballpark, he says they'd be taking a hit at that price and wasn't 100% they could do it. Also says they almost never deal with foreign cars, especially any in this price range (which is true of almost all dealers out here in the sticks), and would rather move it quickly than have it sit for months (which is exactly what it'll do listed at $42k, duh). Told him I'd think about $34k and get back to them later this week, hence the point of this post.

So, what do you all think? Talked to previous owner a few minutes ago. They gave him $34k on the trade-in. Planning on offering $33k, conditional on the car checking out 100% on a full inspection by a BMW dealership. How's that sound?

Thanks all!
BMS JB4 | BMS DCI | ETS intercooler | ETS charge pipe | HKS SSQV III | CP-E downpipes | BMWP exhaust | P3Cars vent gauge | LUX V3 angel eyes | Weisslicht smoked LED sidemarkers | Blackline LCI taillights | Slek Designs front lip | BMWP grills | Seibon M3 hood | iCarbon CSL trunk | iCarbon rear diffuser | BMWP suspension | Yokohama Advan Neova AD08s | Work Brombachers - FLOSS edition | H&R spacers | TC Kline studs | Project Kics R40 lugs

Last edited by HebbNH; 04-20-2012 at 12:55 PM. Reason: New info!