Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 911 Carrera S

Garage List
2006 911 Carrera S  [0.00]
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 530i  [0.00]
Fanboys are annoying whether Audi or BMW, and frankly a waste of my time. Agreed, BMW brakes have traditionally been, as EVO magazine says, "a blind spot" Though we'll have to wait and see about the new cross-drilled rotor, floating, aluminium composite caliper ones on the M3, and not jump to conclusions. Presenting preliminary results of a single test as irrefutable fact is hyperbolic and not analytical.

As far as weight is concerned. Nose-heavy Audi's in general and RS4 in specific have nothing on BMW's and the E92 M3 in this regard. The brochure is accurate on this count. Though it is correct and salient to point out the near 200lb increase in this e92 model. Each successive M3 model has been larger and heavier than the previous version, just as each 3 series has been larger and heaver. The M3 will always be based on its 3 series coupe progenitor, so it has no real choice, does it? Each heavier generation has been criticized as going in the wrong direction in terms of weight and length, but I ask, what happens at the end of the day, when all reviewers and the general public have their chance to thoroughly consider the new model? Well, precious few would argue that the e36 M3 was a better car then the e46. This may not continue with the e92, but the lesson here is that weight alone does not a worse car make.

The carbon roof saves some weight, was it 7 or 22lbs? The principle is correct, though it does seem to be a small savings for what must be big bucks. Anyone that has ordered an M3 w/o sunroof has acted on the same principle. Motosport is merely doing whatever they can to take a e92 package and improve upon it.

Speaking of positioning, the M3 will always be positioned as a luxury car that also has ferocious performance. It has never and never will attempt to become a Lotus Exige. That it is even compared with a 911 is not, in my mind, a strict apples-to-apples comparision, but it is informative to do so. I would not expect the M3 to outperfom (in all senses) the 400 lb lighter, much smaller 911, but if it gets close then the substantial real-world benefits of the M3 (trunk, rear passenger ******* get more important.

My $0.02.
2003 E39 530i - Auto - Black Sapphire on Black
Gone: 2001 325Ci - 5MT- TopazBlue/Black Trackday Count: 10
Appreciate 0