View Single Post
      04-14-2012, 01:05 AM   #51
M3PO
Colonel

Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekrul View Post
How would one know how old their software was? Would an aftermarket tune totally override this?
We (EAS and I) were only able to tell by looking at my service history. You can't easily tell what version you have. Tom can only override what is on there with the newest version. The tuner (Sal for example) can tell once it has been read and sent to him. The aftermarket tune is a modified version of the stock software so starting with the best/newest software as a foundation for the tune will yield the best results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
That gives me some hope (!) - your car is an 08, right? To be clear do you have a tune or just OEM software?

They can find out what version of OEM software is running and that tells how old it is. From what I gather most tuners have most versions of "stock" OEM software that they can program onto the car, which sounds like what was done here.
Yeah, mine is an 08. I went to get a tune. My tune was based off of the oldest software version. Essentially, tuning the old version yielded the same gains as updating to the new, completely stock software. So my tune is being redone using the new software as the basis. It made 349 with my mods and stock old software; not good. It made 368 with the Evolve tuned version of my old software so I saw good gains with the Evolve tune. When we flashed it to the newest stock software, it made 372. I'm hoping for 390 with the tuned version of the new software.

Last edited by M3PO; 04-14-2012 at 02:02 AM.