View Single Post
      04-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #315
M3PO
Colonel
Rep

Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by db71 View Post
I was being sarcastic in case some missed it. I have met many engineering students that are very capsble of working on cars and obviuosly any engineer on a car forum is probably more than capable. and no my kid cannot design a wheel it was a comparison to get a point across.

I agree there is a lot of good info in this thread. I agree with a lot of stuff you are saying swamp.

All I am saying is that wheel technology does not change like other things in the world. The cornering, braking, accelerating loads on a xxxx pound vehicle are the same now as they were 30 years ago assuming the vehicle weighs the same and the weight is in the same place. Once a person could design a wheel for those loads they could probably figure out how to design other wheels for those loads without being an engineer.
This is not true AT ALL for at least two reasons. Modern cars produce much more power and modern tires produce much more grip. As such, modern cars are capable of placing much higher loads on the wheels.