Alpine
Major
Rep

Drives: e90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
Christians do not go around saying Christianity is the only way because they are arrogant, stupid or judgmental. They do so because, based on the evidence, they believe what Jesus said.

Well, from the bible we learn that Jesus prayed with his head on the ground, he refrained from eating pork, he fasted, he kept a beard. He was even circumcised. These are all muslim beliefs. Infact, in the bible it says that “if circumcision is not carried out, then the scriptures are broken”. But these days Christians do not follow these things mentioned in the bible.

Christianity is not based upon evidence...but it is backed by evidence. Obviously anyone could “claim” to be God. The difference with Jesus is that His life completely backed those claims.

The new testament manuscripts amount to 24,000 but only 30 letters are in the bible. How can we say that God’s word and the true message is in the bible today?
“if circumcision is not carried out, then the scriptures are broken”

I don't believe that's in the Bible. Circumcision was given to Abraham to God as a sign of His covenant to him that Abraham would be the father of many nations- the Jews. According to the Old Testament Jewish law, yes, if you were not circumcised, then the covenant will be broken (Genesis 17:14). However, Jesus enters the picture. [Instead of copying out a whole bunch of scripture for you, I'll just reference the major part] http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...2;&version=31;
In Romans 4, Paul tells us that Abraham was declared righteous BEFORE he was circumcised, meaning his salvation was given to him before this sign was ever performed. Circumcision is only a symbol- Just like a ring in a wedding. The ring doesn't make you married, it is the commitment made before witnesses, God and each other that make them married. If you lose a ring, are you not still married? If you couldn't afford a ring, does that mean you can't get married? Circumcision does not save.

If that one's not good enough, Paul makes it fairly clear in Galatians.
"For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love." Galatians 5:6

Yes, Jesus was circumcised because he was raised Jewish. According to the Old Testament law, to keep the covenant (Which they wanted to do) they needed to be circumcised. But because of Jesus dying on the cross and raising to life, we no longer are required to live according to the Old Testament law, as spelled out in Romans 4 [Actually the entire book of Romans. Highly recommended!] and Galatians 5.

Can you show me where it is written that Jesus did not consume pork? Jesus said in Mark 7:18-19 "'Are you so dull?' he asked. 'Don't you see that nothing that enters a man from the outside can make him 'unclean'? For it doesn't go into his heart but into his stomach, and then out of his body.' (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods clean.')" Jesus goes on to tell us that "What comes out of a man is what makes him 'unclean.' For from within, out of men's hearts, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. All these evils come from inside and make a man 'unclean.'" (Mark 7:20-23)

Again, in Acts 10, Peter has a vision in which there are many animals in front of him and the Lord tells Peter to "Get up, Kill, and Eat." Peter refuses, but God replies [15] "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean."

As far as the validity of the Bible- Yes, this discussion was very prevalent while the DaVinci Code was popular. I do agree with you, there were many many letters written during this time about Jesus. However, the one's added to the New Testament were written not by people who heard about Jesus, or saw Jesus from a distance, but people who were actually there, people who made eyewitness accounts of the actions, words, and the resurrection of Jesus.

"Knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit." 2 Peter 1:20-21

"For we did not follow cunningly devised fables when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of His majesty. For He received from God the Father honor and glory when such a voice came to Him from the Excellent Glory: "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."
2 Peter 1:16-17

I do agree with you though, Christians nowadays do not follow the practices you described. Oddly enough.. I shaved this morning and ate pork for dinner. What you described was the Old Testament law, which was no longer necessary after Jesus' resurrection. I'm not saying the law is worthless by any means. We follow the law naturally, but if you'll read the book of Romans, Paul explains it very clearly [far better than I] that we do not have to follow the law to attain our salvation. It is by faith in Jesus Christ, and in Him only that we are saved.

Here's a link to the entire book of Romans. At least read it to try to prove me wrong...
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...r=1&version=31