03-18-2012, 01:04 AM   #68
Giggs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbep View Post
What a surprise, a French guy talking bad about American cars. I would have been surprised if you would have said anything else. Especially when you have such high quality cars like Renault over there. The performance you get from the new American muscle cars is usually far beyond what you get from the BMW's and Audis unless you pay 2 to 3 times as much. I used to have a Shelby GT500 with 712 RWHP and 622 RWTQ. That car was a beast on the track and was outperforming BMWs and Audis on a daily basis. I ended up selling the Shelby while I lived in Germany. The German that bought the Shelby said he had more positive comments about the Shelby than any other German cars on the road. He was very impressed with the performance. He actually took the time to understand the car instead of doing the normal European act of disapproving anything American. Last time I looked the Shelby comes with Leather interior and Recaro seats with upgraded Bilstein suspension. The Shelby even comes with Brembo brakes while the M3 comes with cheesy half a** calipers. Comparing the M3 to the Shelby I can say that the comfort is better in the M3 but the fun factor most definitely goes to the Shelby.
Your Shelby sounded like a badass performance wise. Of course the Shelby got more attention in Europe than a European car. American cars in Europe are rare and German cars are common there.

Bottom line, owning an M3 is something we all have in common. We all have different opinions about other cars but we all share the fact that M3s are beautiful and amazing cars and BMW definitely set the bar. Its great to see other manufacturers competing.

I've never driven a Shelby so I have no clue about its fun factor, but I sure have to say my M3 puts a smile on my face everytime I sit in it (and look at it). I work hard and having an M3 to go out to at the end of the work day makes its all worth it If a Shelby has the same affect on others as the M3 has on me, Im happy for them!
Appreciate 0