View Single Post
      03-16-2012, 12:36 AM   #78
yyoo
Private First Class

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Yeah, it appears that a large part of insisting DSC off seems to be driven by "respect from peers." I don't need it. I'll go DSC off when I want to.
I turned it off from day one so I could learn car control at high speeds. I think most people turn it off for the same reason. Doing it just to get respect is absolutely the wrong reason.

Back when I started in the hobby, the idea of having it off was not a big deal. There was no special respect attached to having it off nor any great fear of turning it off. Today, though, having it on seems to be the new normal.

Quote:
And, what if I don't reach that level as a weekend hobbyist? So...?
It's fun trying. And though I'll never be a professional, I might well return to amateur racing some day. But that's not for everyone.

Quote:
Anyhow, after having driven thru high speed sweeping turns like Buttonwillow's Riverside and turns 2, 8 & 9 at Big Willow at certain exhilirating speeds in MDM, try doing that with DSC off (and no wing) & keep pushing it and see what this "rewarding journey" will get you and the car...
Funny that you mention this. I told someone that one of the reasons I returned to the track after a 6-year hiatus is to learn how to consistently 'catch' the car at 120+ mph in T8/9 at Big Willow. This doesn't mean I want to get loose at 120 mph...but it means that, if it were to happen, I hope to have both the confidence and the ability to pull it off.

Speed is risky. Driving at the limit is risky. I choose to mitigate the risks with track insurance and by improving my skills as a driver. Others choose to mitigate with traction control.

Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited by yyoo; 03-16-2012 at 01:28 AM.