View Single Post
      03-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #73
yyoo
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
As for gizmos allowing me to go faster, I'll agree. But, again, w/ modern cars like M3, the entire car is a "gizmo." You think people who get 1:55 at Buttonwillow CW13 can do the same with a (for example) '68 Mercury Cougar? Look how much gizmos there are in these modern sports GT cars.
I think all of us respect guys who can drive slow or difficult cars fast. On the other hand, most of us don't have much appreciation for the noob who brings a high-powered car to the track and is faster than most but 15 seconds slower than he should be. Because it's his car and not his skill that is producing the lap times. Similarly, traction control makes it less about the skill and more about the car.

Quote:
Do people with "good" driving habits get a prize and a pat on the back? And, how "really good" are the driving habits of HPDE DSC-off M3 drivers in general? As a direct result of going DSC off, and honing their skills, are they now ready to compete in SCCA or DTM series? Hmmm?
Turning DSC off won't make you a professional racer or driver, but you'll never reach that level without learning to drive fast without DSC off.

Quote:
Sure, given time, one can improve driving skills so that you can be very fast without needing additional/better equipments. But, how long does that take? Remember, we're only occasional/weekend hobbyists. We can't be dedicating 60 hours a week on this.
I don't think most of us have deadlines. I think most of us want to be doing this for many years. I don't think anyone here is rushing to reach a particular lap time so that he can finally say, "Wonderful! Now I can quit the hobby." The journey is the reward. And the journey to becoming a good driver is a very rewarding one.

Last edited by yyoo; 03-15-2012 at 10:53 PM.