View Single Post
      02-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #21
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxL View Post
To OP's original question - things changed for sure - off at 60MPH is most likely to be stopped by grass/gravel trap. Off at 100MPH is many times more likely to cause a roll or put you into the wall. Higher speeds and heavier cars with the same run offs increase the cost of mistakes, so nannies are more important.

I never use the normal (non-MDM) mode on the track because it's blocks any rotation completely and thus changes driving feel too much. I once had it on thinking I was in MDM and almost had an off because adding throttle to push the car around the bend just did nothing.

But MDM has it's uses, I think - for example, I use it when learning a new track to make sure I have safety net if a turn "surprises" me. I know ideally that should not happen, but sometimes it does on a new track. Another time when I use it is when experimenting with the line or moving braking points - sometimes such experiments may cause "oh-shit" moments, so trying the experimental approach with MDM is a good safety net - important for a really fast car without racing-grade safety equipment. I wish there was a more track-friendly mode, like Corvettes have - something that let's you slide as much as you need and intervenes only during inevitable spin.
The Corvette's "Comp "Mode"is just like our MDM and way too intrusive if you want to work the car on its limit.I used to have a Z06 & a C6 so I have experianced this on those cars.MDM is just about useless with a square setup as it impedes power delivery with the mildest of slip angles.