View Single Post
      02-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #214
Gearhead999s
Major General

Drives: E93 335is(wifes)E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
Gearhead - did you race with Ray Korman, Davie Jones, and John Andretti in the Firehawk series. My 525i that I track today was made and is still prepared by Ray Korman for each event. We talk about the Firehawk series and the difficulties with racing the Fords and Chevys. Must have been a lot of fun.
vz
We got our ECU from Ray Korman and he offered us lots of advice.The Canadian rules were far more liberal than the US rules so we were running to a different spec.We had our own stars at the time so we did not need the Americans We had Ron Fellows,Paul Tracy,Ken Wilden,Richard Spenard,David Empringham,Scott Maxwell who all won major North American road racing championships later on.That was the peak time in Canadian racing with 5 great national series before the Tabacco Advertising was banned.
I ran a couple of US Firehawk races in a Mustang & Camaro with the best finish of a fifth place at the Glen.I also ran the Camaro at the 24hr Mosport race where we finished 6th after 2 rear housing changes & a clutch change.The General Tire Saleen Mustang team did a 45 minute engine change at 3 in the morning.Those 24 hour races were something that I will never forget as you saw some really weird things when you are in the middle of the night on a 3 hour shift.When we ran the BMW for the 24 it was totally drama free and we won our class by over 25 laps only to get DQ'd over an engine builder oversight on hiding the porting work he did by forgetting to sandblast his handiwork. That was pretty widespread as they had to go to the ninth place car that was legal to award the winEverybody else was tossed out of the results.