View Single Post
      02-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #24
sawzall's Avatar

Drives: A Car
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 911S  [5.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
Originally Posted by fearjac View Post
Just wondering on the 'plates from the dealer' thingy. I am looking into bringing up a sedan to Vancouver this year. There is one item I am unclear about: 1) If I decide to drive it back and cross the border (with all paper in-check of course)....the plates that will be on the car will be from the state I purchased it from - correct? Are these temporary plates like we have up here - the paper ones on the rear window? What if I get it trucked to me (insured for shipping) on the USA side and then drive it over? 2) If they are not - I assume I chuck them once I reinsure it in BC and get new plates?

Sorry for my question as it is a newbie Q. I just joined today. Great information here. Hope to meet some of you soon in Vancouver.

According to ICBC, "If you're driving a U.S. vehicle to B.C., you will need an in-transit permit from the originating state. (Check with each state you enter to ensure the permit is valid in that state.)"

So if you pickup the car on the US side, and intend to drive it in BC, you will need temporary US plates (and in most cases, those are the paper plates you put in the windows). If you have the car transported all the way to Canada, there is no need for US plates, but you will need a temporary BC plate to drive the car till you've got your RIV sticker.