View Single Post
      02-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #23
Dave07997S
Colonel

Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB1 View Post
Short of getting an ESS supercharger, what does everyone recommend as 2 or 3 mods that are the best value for the M? I know seeing the word value and M in the same sentence is a bit of an oxy moron, but I'm looking for a good combo of mods without going over the top. I'd like to get the Akrapovic Evo system, but I'm worried that it won't pass CA smog. I'm also eying the ESS or AA tune, pulleys, intake, and anything else that anyone can turn me onto.

Thanks in advance folks, love the passion and info on the site!
If you can somehow keep your unmolested OEM xpipe and buy a used one, I would say go with a primary cat delete, airfilter and pullies. If you get a tune you will still have issues with readiness status even though the software will turn off the rear 02s. The good news is you don't have to have your car smogged for 5 years in Cali, so you can do all the goodies. Just be prepared to return the car to stock as far as software and xpipe is concerned when the day of reckoning arrives.

I live in LA and I did the TTPs, AFE stg. 2 (love the sound of this, while only a 6rwhp gain), and pullies along with software and Megan cat back. In total I spent $2500 in mods, if you shave off the AFE stg. 2 and just get the airfilter you save an additional $400 with pretty much the same results minus the wonderful noise coming from the airbox.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk