View Single Post
      02-05-2012, 04:49 AM   #34
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...

Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
I didn't like mine, and sold it. It was built nicely, but it didn't sound great. I thought the Akrapovic sounded better, and a lot less raspy. I didn't think the BMW Performance exhaust got loud enough, either.
You probably didn't keep it long enough. Mine has been heat cycled very well on the track and it has definitely gotten louder and opened up. I have read/heard that BMW purposely designed the exhaust to meet TUV noise regulations initially, but then get louder than that with use. Might be some sort of urban legend but again I do believe mine has changed.

I have never heard the Akra in person, but I don't find the BMW PE to be raspy. But this is the great thing and the troubling thing about buying an exhaust. They all sound different to different people. So when someone comes on here and says "What exhaust should I buy?" I always a little bit.

The other thing everyone seems to forget about this exhaust is that it is made from Iconel. Not that anyone really cares that this exotic alloy is used, not even me, but the only other Iconel exhaust that I think is on the market is offered by Eisenmann. It retails for around $7000, so by comparison, this exhaust is a bargin!