View Single Post
      02-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #39
swartzentruber
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
The SA2005 refers to the year that that spec of protection was defined by the Snell Foundation (http://www.smf.org/). I believe they specs are updated every 5 years, and a helmets certification lasts for 7 years. Whether organizations/clubs allow 7 years or 5 years differs, some people think the certificate only lasts until the next certification is published. Anyway, a Snell SA2005 helmet will have its certificate expire in 2012 and will no longer be accepted by a (reputable) organization after that.
That's not the way it works for my BMWCCA club, and I think they follow national BWMCCA standards pretty rigidly. It is a good point for anyone buying an 05 that it's not usable for nearly as long as a 10. Our club's standard is to allow usage for one season past when the helmet becomes 2 generations old. In other words, you could still use a SA2000 until the end of the 2011 season (1 year past the 2010 generation), so if you buy a SA2005 right now, you'll be able to use it through the end of the 2016 season. If you are just starting and unsure if you'll stick with it, a half priced SA2005 might be the way to go, but if you are pretty serious, you might as well buy a 2010, because you'll get twice as long of usage.