View Single Post
      02-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #49
kaiv
Major

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post
My friend did this, he never did end up telling me how he did it though. Maybe I'll try bugging him about it again? I now change tires before heading to the track since I just use R-S3's now, but if there's enough interest, I can try asking again.

FWIW, the OEM roof/rack has a specific weight rating -which I don't remember off the top of my head- but I do remember that you shouldn't put more than 3 wheels on there.

I did those calculations I while back with 18x9.5 wheels with 265 R-S3s and the Yakima Load Warrior. Better put 3 on the roof, one one the trunk

A few people over on M3forum have ran the OEM rack and Yakima Load Warrior. A buddy of mine who ran that setup stop doing so because gas consumption went through the roof (pun intended). That was with an E46 M3 and I can imagine how bad it would get with an E9x.

Besides, some of us track far away from home. I know I wouldn't leave my wheels out in the open like that overnight in a motel's parking lot. Unless you unload them to safety into your room and then throw them back on top of the car in the morning which sounds like a hassle.

The best solution really is to stuff the wheels inside the car.
kaiv is offline   United_States