01-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #20
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by txz4 View Post
wait a minute, wait a minute.... so were all acting like its wrong of the government to shut down a site giving away STOLEN goods to attract traffic, and then advertising to make money? i love pirated goods just as much as the next guy, but im not going to be mad just because they shut down something we knew wasnt strictly legal. Thats like speeding, getting caught, and saying "what the hell is your problem, pulling me over for openly breaking the law?"

the only reason websites were up in arms over this (sopa, pipa) is because it was going to cost them money and punish them for the wrongs of other companies like Megaupload. not saying this is right to punish them because they link it, but punishing a company who makes ALL of their profits from pirated goods doesnt bother me...
I think people are more upset over the implications of what will happen to other, better intentioned websites. Or startups, that basically won't have a chance in hell of doing anything if these bills are passed. A lot of it has to do with the vagueness of the law, since it allows a lot of room for interpretation by the government (i.e. gives them a little too much power possibly if they decide to abuse it). Of course people are blowing things out of proportion just a tad, but I think people have just started to always assume the worst right off the bat.