BMW will return to the DTM race series beginning this year with six DTM M3 race cars. We've already seen the DTM M3s, and now we get a peek at the BMW M3 DTM Safety Car for the first time, albeit in not yet final form.
The M3 DTM Safety Car's exterior shows a new hood design with extra venting and host of BMW M Performance parts - carbon fiber splitters, black grilles, carbon fiber mirror covers, carbon fiber trunk spoiler lip, and black competition wheels.
The interior gets a full roll cage, Recaro race seats, flat bottom alcantara Performance steering wheel with blue tab
The engine looks to be from the M3 GTS, which is a 450hp 4.4L V8 and the shifter reveals that this car has a 7 speed DCT transmission.
Per BMW Motorsports facebook
The six BMW Motorsport race cars won’t be the only BMW M3s on the track in next year’s DTM season. Here are some pics to give you a first impression of the BMW M3 Safety Car. More to come…
BMW just recently completed its DTM race team, which will feature the following drivers: Dirk Werner (DE), Andy Priaulx (GB), Augusto Farfus (BR), Bruno Spengler (CA), reigning DTM champion Martin Tomczyk (DE), and Joey Hand (US).
The 2012 DTM season kicks off April 29th at Hockenheim.
Here's 2012 DTM schedule at a glance*
- 29th April Hockenheimring Baden-Württemberg (D)
- 6th May Lausitzring (D)
- 20th May Brands Hatch (GB)
- 3rd June Red Bull Ring Spielberg (A)
- 1st July Norisring (D)
- 14th / 15th July Show event Olympiastadion München (D)**
- 19th August Nürburgring (D)
- 26th August Circuit Park Zandvoort (NL)
- 16th September Motorsport Arena Oschersleben (D)
- 30th September Valencia (E)
- 21st October Hockenheimring Baden-Württemberg (D)
* subject to approval from the FIA
** no points round