View Single Post
      01-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #63
IMG
VT3

Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
I have a story to tell you. Once upon a time, somebody from this board had his exhaust installed at a reputable shop, and the differential broke a few weeks later, after a BMW dealer installed the wrong parts, with reportedly $10K worth of damage. Anyway, it's a long story, but most of us know what happened: Shop removed the hanger brackets (much easier than trying to pry the hangers out of them), and probably forgot to tighten them, basically leaving the differential without 2 of its 3 mounting points. And my point is both an independent shop and a BMW dealer screwed up on the same car .

I'd rate an exhaust installation a 3 out of 10 in degree of difficulty, and between 2 people, it's a piece of cake. Invite a friend over, buy the pizza, and do it in an afternoon. All you need is a pair of ramps and and a 3/8" socket set with extensions. The new exhaust will be much easier to install than the old, since it's 3 pieces, rather than one. And much lighter. And you know things would be done right. Plus you can clean and detail the undercarriage, especially around the differential, to notice any leak in the future.

Even if you get the exhaust done by a dealer or shop, I'd inspect the job myself, so might as well just do it . Good luck.
I remember that thread !
+1 on the advice !

Ess VT3 LC built motor,Volk TE37SL,Euro taillights,Dinan Xpipe,Custom Headers,Akra axle back CF tips,ModeCarbon FR lip,BMW CF wing
LOW BOOST 60-130 6.7 sec