View Single Post
      01-07-2012, 01:16 AM   #71
graider
Colonel
Rep

Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

who would worry about loosing 1/10th of a second to get through that hole in street traffic. sounds like a douche bag driving style to me at best. i've seen people in civics or jetta did this all the time yet those car are even slower than the m3.

when i had my e46 m3 (less torque than current m3), never really has issues getting through that hole in traffic like you described. what you said sounds very extreme like in a life and death situation that someone needs to pass through traffic IMO. not realistic.

anyway, let's move on as everyone has their own opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post

What part of "The M3 is absolutely fine in everyday driving - until you compare it to a 1M, C63, etc. They're just even more fine around town or in traffic.
" didn't you get.

What part of "See that hole in traffic? Just step on it, and don't bother wasting the second or so it takes for an aggressive downshift." didn't you get.

That second may cost you the opportunity. In that context, yes, pretty much any auto will be better on the street than pretty much any stick, but more torque reduces or eliminates the need for a hasty downshift.

Sooner or later, I suppose I'll succumb and buy an automatic for my personal use, but I'm not yet mature enough. The last auto I bought for myself was a '70 Buick GS 455 Stage I, and I sold it after less than two years.

Fast, but way too boring.

The entire concept of the value of torque is far from a nit, in my opinion, but if you disagree, so be it.

See, if I were into picking nits, I'd tell you to learn how to spell "nitpick anything", but I won't.

Bruce