View Single Post
      12-12-2011, 04:04 AM   #1
slowman
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Suggestions for Project/Track Car

(I've searched around, but I can't find a track car decision tree )

While my E90 is an amazing car, probably the best I'll ever own, I have different goals for a track car, and I'm think this forum might be a good place to get some suggestions with my criteria laid out.

I want to work on the car with my son as he grows up. I think it would be a great way to spend time together and he's a bigger car nut than I am. So I don't want a car that's perfect already. I'd like something comparatively easier to work on, so that makes me think older, maybe 80's.

Beyond getting it in great running shape, I would be stripping it out and putting a cage / seats and harnesses in eventually. I'm not going full race ready, but safety is a big goal.

I want parts to be readily available and reasonably priced. Performance upgrades as well as straight replacements.

It doesn't have to be incredibly fast. I'm not deluding myself about my abilities behind the wheel, and honestly driving it on the track is less important than me having fun with my son building it up. That being said, I don't want to spend a few years building up a geo metro. Some cool factor is needed.

Budget-wise, I'd like to get a high mileage but somewhat decent shape for < $8000. That's just a rough number to give an idea.

My thoughts so far:

944: How good is the parts scene for this? My wife's kind of into this car surprisingly.

An older 325i(s): More work to go up in performance, but maybe easier to work on / more parts?

An older M3 would be great, but it's a little hard to get into them for the low initial prices I'm after.

A 280z would be in the mix. As old as I am, so low tech. Fun to play around in though.

Any suggestions or corrections of my assumptions would be much appreciated.

Thanks