View Single Post
      12-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #57
DocJohn
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo8765 View Post
The difference in weight between the two transmissions is no where near 90#, more like 40 (don't remember the exact number).

I had an '09 6mt sunroof car that weighed 30# more than my '11 DCT/comp/carbon roof (other equipment was the same). I was really surprised that the DCT car was lighter, obviously the carbon roof helps but wow. This is with both cars 100% stock, full fuel, on the same corner scales. The point is, the weight penalty for the DCT is low enough to not be a consideration when choosing which transmission you want.

The most interesting thing to me is that the '11 up cars seem quicker than the earlier cars (regardless of transmission).
Hi There!

The numbers that I used came from the "data sheet" that you can download. My data point for M6T was 9/15/11 with a tested weight of 3552.
My second data point is for the DCT7, and it comes from the data panel marked 6/9/08 with a weight of 3630. Both cars were quite similar, so I assumed that the transmission was the major variable. Neither had sunroof, which is another large variable. the difference is 78 lbs. (I just glanced at it and my math came out as "90 lbs"...sorry about that!
These weights are determined by C&D and not manufacturer.

I also wonder if the cars are faster because of the loss of the carbon filter on the intake??