View Single Post
      12-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
VictorH
Lieutenant

Drives: '09 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS11 View Post
i don't think theres a point for the camber markings in the first place. when you get an alignment done the mechanic reads the values off of the computer anyways, and even if he manages to get the camber markings to correspond with the real camber angle you probably don't want to be changing the camber angle by yourself because it will mess up your toe angle.
That's not my understanding of the utility of this. Yes, it's doubtful that the markings correspond to the exact camber value, however, the markings help you set the camber where you want it. So here's how it works.
1) Take it to a good alignment shop and have them set up alignment for stock street settings (toe, camber, caster). Have the alignment shop then set the camber for each of, -2, -3, -4 degrees and note where they are on the plate or make new marks.
2) Note change in toe with each camber setting and how many turns on tie rods to get back to "stock" setting. For example at -3 degrees negative camber turn tie rod 3/4 turn clockwise.
3) Return to stock alignment and then when you are ready for track adjust camber to predetermined setting (by plate and a camber measuring tool) and if necessary make toe adjustments. When done with track go back to previous stock setting.

I've been told the toe changes with adjustment of the plate are not very significant and are favorable for the track as more negative camber will give slight toe out. I agree it would be silly if you had to go to an alignment shop every time you adjusted your camber plates, but that's the utility of adjustable ones, once you set the camber and you know the toe change you can make the adjustments yourself at home. That's what I intend. No it won't be as precise as a race shop alignment but it will still be better than 90% of the tire shop (and probably dealer) alignments we've all gotten in the past.