12-03-2011, 09:22 PM
Private First Class
Drives: 2015 F15 X5 35d
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Originally Posted by VVG
Agreed. Seriously, how many people haven't punched it on more than a few occasions on the street. Sustained high speed driving or street racing is a different story entirely and is very risky, but do you really think you can own an M3 and only exceed the speed limit on a track? Who has the time to get to a track that often?
Over the years, I have learned how to drive fast safely on the street (flame suit is on so fire way).
1. Don't drive fast in traffic
2. Don't drive fast in any type of foul weather
3. Don't drive fast in any kind of populated area
4. Always slow down when passing another vehicle
5. Always keep safe following distances
6. Check all your mirrors frequently
7. Be constantly scanning the edges of the roadway to look for the state revenue generators
8. Slow down before bends, bridges and other places with limited visibility
9. I always set a visual target point for myself to which I am going to drive fast based on all factors considered. When I reach that point, I slow down again.
10. Consider the edges of the roadway. Is is flat off both sides or is there a 100ft cliff on one side.
11. Always know what type of unmarked cars are being used in the areas that you are driving, and learn the common physical traits of unmarked cars. After a while, they won't seem "unmarked".
12. Invest a a good radar detector and laser jammer. If they save you once, they have paid themselves off when you consider ticket and insurance costs.
13. If you see any brake lights going on ahead of you, slow down yourself.
Anyway, I could go on, but I think you get the picture.
2015 F15 X5 35d, Mineral White, Mocha Interior