11-07-2011, 12:48 PM   #95
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_Frg View Post
If my career plans pan out, I'll be making around $120K at my next job level.
Never go on that kind of logic. Concentrate on the job and not the payout. You'll be surprised how often things like this don't work out and it's generally not a good idea to make plans on what you don't have and on what may or may not come to fruition.

Quote:
As for now...have zero debt whatsoever, and land a fantastic job. I landed this job through sheer effort and networking without anyone nepotism or strings being pulled.
Excellent!

Quote:
- I wasn't projecting to spend only 60 a month on gas. Thats just how much I'm spending so far on my zhp with fairly limited driving.
Expect the S65 to eat 30-50% more! :P

Quote:
- I max my 401k contributions by the amount my employer matches. My take home pay reflects retirement contributions and health insurance.
Generally that means either 100% of 4% or 50% of 8%.

Quote:
- I have a stock portfolio worth a little under $10K that I inherited as a graduation gift but I do not plan on liquidating that for anything. I consider myself to be pretty financially savvy and recognize that although the stock markets are complete shit right now, this portfolio could double within the next 5 years. So I won't be touching it. If anything, I'll be adding to it over time.
Putting more money there instead of in the M3 may bring you a house and a newer/better M3 in the future. Stock never loses in the long term (at least so far).

Quote:
- I have excellent credit (>750) and pay off my card every month in full. But I do have a car loan for my zhp and all inclusive costs for my car including insurance and gas amounts to roughly 720 a month.
Credit is a funny thing. I have a higher credit rating than my dad. He has over 10 times my net worth and 0 debt.

Quote:
I'm just so emotionally driven to have an m3 right now and think I can afford to spend a couple hundred more to have a used one; I realize a new one is out of the picture right now.

In conclusion, I will not be leasing a new m3 or whatnot. The only way I can see myself getting into one in the very near future is if I sell my zhp at market and pay off its loan and use the proceeds to put a downpayment on a used m3 in the 45-50k range and finance the rest. But even then, I'm hesitant to be in that much debt, even though I feel pretty secure in my job and future prospects.

So in the end, I'm at a battle of reconciling my pure emotional drive to drive a car of my dreams with my financial common sense saying not to.

Not sure what I'll do but I definitely won't be getting into an m3 anytime soon. If I do, maybe after winter ends in Boston :P
But you're making the right decision, +1 to you!
Appreciate 0