View Single Post
      10-26-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
accelerated

Drives: 2006 BMW M3 ZCP IB/Black

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
E46 M3 saved my life but lost hers

So, I thought I would share some heartache with everyone that I experienced two weeks ago today. I've never been active on this forum, merely a hardcore lurker, but alas figured this is worth sharing.

Combination of things contributed to the below:

1) Negligence of tires (I bought a new set of Conti's in January, I honestly had not checked the tread because they were newish).

2) Brand new blacktop road (slippery).

3) Torrential NC rain with standing water in the road.

4) I was not speeding, I was in traffic, 47ish in a 45.

Anyways, my car slipped in the road and started sliding into oncoming traffic, I corrected the slide and managed to get the car back in my lane facing forward. Unfortunately, regardless of where my car was facing I was unable to regain traction and was still sliding to the right, 3/4 of my tires went on this driveway type thing on the side of the road, and the front driver's side tire missed it and caused me to fall into the ditch.

At this point I was sliding sideways until I hit a bank in the ditch and my car popped up in the air and flipped over, with me landing on the otherside of the ditch.

I was not wearing my seatbelt so I slid out of my seat during the initial slide (leaning on the car door) and when I popped in the air I simply grabbed the steering wheel and rolled gently onto the roof. I braced myself perfectly (all things considered) with the steering wheel and the top of my seat so I had no injuries. I was shocked and was working on getting out of the car when the people behind me had gotten out of their car and pulled me out by my feet. I had no injuries except for a bruised hand, so thats a plus. Anyways, pics:

accelerated is offline   United_States