View Single Post
      10-14-2011, 01:20 AM   #15
lve2xlr8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Awesome comparison and thread, I've spent significant time with the PDK (Boss's Cayman R w/Sport Chrono) and DCT (My m3), but I'll add my thoughts:

The PDK to me behaves a little more traditionally, people who don't know how to drive stick or paddle shift gears will appreciate how the car will lurch by itself when you leave the brake and how the shifter is identical to a typical automatic. The shift speeds--although incredibly fast--will never jerk into the next gear and will very rarely chirp the tires into 2nd. The downshift rev-matches don't scream like those of the DCT either, again they're still very (just as?) fast. Thankfully the Cayman R has real paddles similar to (but nearly as nice as) the DCT. The poke/pull levers in other Porsche PDK models are a joke. I also don't like how pushing forward on the console shifter upshifts, DCT's pull to upshift feels more natural.

Things I like about the PDK are that it seems to launch the car at exactly how much throttle you're feeding, whereas the m3 it's either regular start or dump the clutch at high rpm start. I also like the pop noise the pdk makes when it upshifts at light throttle. PDK is less reluctant to downshift to first than the DCT. Another thing is when you floor the DCT--say from 7th to 3rd--it seems to sit for a second before it takes off, not a big deal, but the PDK seems to do this a little more seamlessly. And finally, I feel as though the PDK goes from D to R and vica versa much faster than the DCT.

I prefer DCT for several key reasons (reasons that also won me over from the 6mt.) The aforementioned trumpeting downshifts are like crack, I can't get enough of them, the upshift slamming of gears on the faster shift settings also feels incredible. I like how if you come to a complete stop and release the brake the car sits until you touch the throttle. I like the funkier shifter setup, I think it's contemporary and cool (although I'm constantly turning other cars off without putting them into park). I definitely prefer the large gear indicator over the tiny one off to the right in the Porsche.

Both awesome transmissions, but the PDK loses when it comes to the sublime shifter in 6mt Porsches. The DCT wins when it comes to the rubbery (and tough into 2nd) feel of its counterpart 6mt.

The PDK is seamless, and does it's job with no drama. That's why I prefer the DCT.
Appreciate 0