View Single Post
      06-09-2007, 09:35 PM   #15
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

BER and mpg

I'm sure BER will improve mpg, but very slightly. Also for the millionth time BMW chose a bad name, BER has NOTHING to do with the cars braking system. Here is my reasoning.

An alternator is a parasitic system. It converts (robs) crank power to electricity. The reduction of parasitic systems increases mpg. Just compare a very parasitic automatic tranny to a very efficient manual - which gets better mpg? BER is great becuase it fits perfectly with BMWs "efficient dynamics" effort. Things like DCT and BER get you both better mpg and more performance. That's why the car REALLY should have had direct injection as well (my pet peeve...).

Lastly, I think it is nothing but rumor that the US cars will not get BER. I heard something about the system requiring a totally new type of battery and getting it approved for some regulations could not be done in a timely fashion. I sure hope we get it. An alternator can consume between 5-10 hp. If we don't get BER it will impact not only our mpg but also our performance of US cars.

Some responses herein are not leaving me with a warm fuzzy feeling of confidence about BMW educators and technicians...

Last edited by swamp2; 06-10-2007 at 01:31 AM..
Appreciate 0