10-04-2011, 09:27 AM   #10
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
I think we are talking about two different things, you are talking about dealer service offering like detailing to owners.

In my head, I was thinking of the prep jobs they do to the used cars they get.

I obviously agree, dealer services to owners that include car wash, lot boys wipe down, or generic services will often leave you with undesired results.
Even looking at it as two different services, I think you'll get the same results: swirls on your paint. Sure it might look good from far away sitting on a showroom floor in bad lighting, but if you get up close and examine it with a decent light you'll see the damage.

Much better to take it to a real detailer after you get it. I would always decline the "new car prep" services they offer.

In addition, I've had varying experiences on a few dealerships on the east coast. I've been in dealerships up near Philly, in VA, and now in NC. When I first stopped by, I asked about a good detailing spot and they tried to push their "services" on me. I respectfully declined and waited a while. After getting to know a few of the people, they realized I was looking for something good and I was a good guy and recommended a few places away from the dealerships.