View Single Post
      09-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #102
11Series

Drives: BMW turned up to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldArmy View Post
Being as how it's Labor Day and I'm feeling generous I have to say some of what you say approximates truth. Of course, given my career military background and my post-retirement work in the military-industrial complex as a government contractor, I may know just a teenie weenie bit about the subject. So, my "learning curve" is pretty much completed but thanks for the coaching.

Government contractors do perform a moderate amount of jobs that may have been formerly accomplished by soldiers. They also perform a wide range of activities that soldiers have never done. Much of this is due to the fact that soldiers are way more expensive than contractors. Every soldier comes with a "tail"-the cost of his training, his care and feeding, his healthcare, housing, retirement, etc. A contractor comes with none of that--he costs the market price for his labor. There's another dimension to this and that is the cap on size of the uniformed force. There are defined numbers of soldiers needed to perform the mission at hand. In today's army you need more tooth than tail and the size can't be exceeded. Therefore, contractors are the best, most cost-effective way to do a lot of missions (higher echelon maintenance, food preparation, transportation outside of war zone, etc.) that have to be done but soldiers are not the right answer. Now the reason there are foreign nationals being used (overseas only) is budgetary in nature. The military has X amount to spend and hiring a local national in Afghanistan to do the scut work, at wages an ex-pat American won't accept just makes good business sense. Besides, there are plenty of jobs downrange that remain unfilled that Americans can have if they want them.

Thanks for confirming from the inside that you folks view actual US soldiers as an expense that needs to be eliminated and replaced with foreign workers, so you can make your 20% off the top. Your company can't make 20% off the top of US soldier's salaries, can they? But you certainly WILL make a profit off of every contractor your company hires, right?

There are "plenty of jobs"??!?! Seriously? The Manufacturing industry employees heard every single one of the same lines before their industry was decimated by out-sourcing too. US Soldiers need to realize they are following in the footsteps of US Manufacturing Jobs -- outsourced straight out of this country.

Any US soldiers here should wake up and realize that you are NOT important to these folks. Right now for every US soldier in Afghanistan, there are 1.5 contractors doing jobs that were done by US soldiers in WWI, WWII, Vietnam, etc.

Wondering why your signing bonus isn't as much as it used to be? The answer is Outsourcing. They don't need to give you a big signing bonus, they will hire a Pakistani instead.

Wondering why you haven't been promoted up and given a command, or put in command of more soldiers? Outsourcing. They are hiring other people to manage those contractors. They don't need to promote you.

Wondering why Republicans fought AGAINST better benefits, such as better education (GI Bill) and better health care? Outsourcing. They would rather hire a contractor and not pay the expense for soldier's benefits.

Wondering why your training is lower quality than before, is shorter, and involves outdated equipment? Outsourcing. Making you a better soldier is an expense they do not want when they can hire someone else cheaper.