View Single Post
      09-08-2011, 06:09 AM   #13
luis_m3
Low Pro...
United_States

Drives: 2011 E90 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_fuera View Post
Let me start by saying that I'm a noob here, but not new to forums in general, and I have searched with limited success...

My situation is such that I can only have a single car (need to keep the wife happy given that we have limited garage space lol) that will be used in all seasons, including winter. The car will not see any track duty. Iíve narrowed my search down to a new GT500 or a Ď08/Ď09 M3 (cost is roughly equal). I know the GT500 and M3 arenít exactly in the same class, but I canít be the first person to cross shop these cars. I think there are a lot of people out there like me who have grown up on domestic performance but as theyíve became a bit older are looking to add a little refinement in with the performance.

The M3 is the obvious choice for that refinement, but what concerns me about the M3ís I can afford is that theyíll shortly be out of warranty. How expensive is scheduled maintenance on the M3? How expensive is it to maintain the M3 in general? How reliable is the M3? Iíve also read stories about lackluster build quality on this iteration of the M3. Any truth to this?

Has anyone made the switch from GT500 to M3 or vice versa? Has anyone else faced this same dilemma? Any input you guys could provide would be much appreciated!
Well, Joe went off the top rope here. LOL. A little harsh indeed.

My opinion: if you find a good looking '09 M3 with relatively low miles, I would say go for it. I agree with what most people mentioned above; M3 is in a totally different class, so you can't really compare the two... also, it is a hell of a DD. I'm married and have 2 kids, and will tell you that my entire family just LOVES my E90; even my kids get excited when they get to ride in the "very loud M3".
That being said, if warranty is a MUST HAVE for you in the near future, then go for the GT500. But even then, I think I would reconsider any other possible choices.
Good luck in your decision!