View Single Post
      08-31-2011, 04:54 PM   #77
ScotchAndCigar
Banned

Drives: 2011 128i space gray vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
Well it's not exactly a song is it? whether we are fully out of the recession is debatable. But to say it was some sort of magic potion and everything is fine now is a joke. For instance our unemployment rate is still at 9.1%, housing market is crap, and the stock market is highly volatile. Doesn't sound like we are doing so well.
Believe it or not, I'm not disagreeing with you here. And I also never said the stimulus was a magic potion, but I did see that all the most renowned economists at the time, including the nobel prize winner, were in support of pumping stimulus money into the economy.

In fact, I'm of the opinion that the economy is cyclical, wordwide, and self-churning, and that the US president has only a small effect on the economy. One also has to consider the wrangling in congress, and how much of an administration's policy actually gets through.

Having said that, it is still a crap economy for those out of work, or those trying to sell real estate. The recession was years in the making, and it's going to take years to get past the peak. But now the Dow is wavering around 12000, not 7000, and GM & Chrysler are making big profits, and we still have a ridiculously high standard of living, which is good (I guess).
ScotchAndCigar is offline   United_States