View Single Post
      08-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
stega
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
I've got a 2009 E92 M3 6MT with Dinan springs, camber plates, 4.10 final drive. Wheels are 10x18" APEX ARC-8s, with Dunlop Direzza 275/35-18s, square setup. The car EDC and I'd like to keep it very streetable.

In this year's club AX championship I came in 2d by .3-seconds cummulative for the year. I'd like to gain a few tenths per lap to keep me in the hunt against turbo E46 M3 that have coil-overs and lightening.

The minimum changes I'm planning are as follows:
  • Replace the rear sway bar with the E93 bar in hope of stiffening the rear slightly to get a little more rotation.
  • Replace the brake lines with steel and try some street/performance pads. For AX I need pads that perform well cold.

I've considered a BBK, but I doubting that AX braking will improve enough to justify the expenditure of over 6-grand. I think that it'd be a mistake to only do the fronts, because the back might be underbraked and I could lose performance. Ideally, I might do the back only, but then the back might be overbraked and I couldn't do much about that without a brake bias valve, which I don't see offered for our cars.

I guess my question to the AXers is, have any of you tried a BBK and how did it improve your competitiveness at AX? I don't do HPDE or track in this car, so a BBK would have to earn its stripes in AX solely. Is there a street/performance pad on the stock calipers that anyone would recommend for AX (has to work well cold)? Anyone done just the steel lines and pads and was that an improvement?

My problem is this is a dual purpose DD/AX car. I once had a competitive ESP 5.0 Mustang that was great at AX, but a pain on the street. I don't want to go there again; otherwise I'd do coil-overs, more radical AX-only tires

Dave
I have the Brembo 380mm kit on my car and I auto-x just about every 2 weeks. Honestly you should just to pads, lines, and fluid w/ the oem brakes. BBK's help with stopping distance but not nearly as much as some may think, they help much more with heat soak/fade issues. I got the kit for the track and for show really not for auto-x but I am sure it helps a bit.
Appreciate 0