08-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Beginner's Project

Hey all,

So I have very little knowledge with complete detailing, but due to a complete lack of reliable detailers in my area, I decided I was going to take it upon myself to learn and try my hand at detailing my M3. Plus, it's definitely more fun working hard yourself and seeing the great results!

So, in order to prevent myself from screwing up my new car and making it look worse, I'm going to try my hand on my second car. It's a 2007 Mazda CX-7. I bought it used, it's great for carrying the dog around when I need to, and also great for carrying any bigger items around when I fold the seats down. When I bought it, it did have some minor scratches into the paint, but for the deal I got it at, there's no way I could have passed it up!

Anyway, I wanted to kind of keep a thread going here, since we always see some of the GREAT detailers here post their amazing projects, but we don't see very many regular joes post their first attempts. I'll keep it complete with mistakes, stupidity, and all other funny things that happen along the way. I think it would be a good journal to see what happens when a newbie takes some initiative and posts all of their attempts here!

As I said, I am starting with my Mazda because I really just want to test out my new equipment and find out what I need to do the RIGHT WAY on my M3. Before I start on the M3, I want to be more comfortable with what I am doing (and also get a better idea of what additional materials I'll need for the M3). My M3 is in pretty decent shape, I should add. It has some minor swirling on the hood, some rock chips on the bumper, but that is about it. I did see some orange peel starting to develop in a few areas. It seems that this might be something I want to get rid of, obviously, as soon as possible. This will obviously take some time, but it is a work in progress!

Here is the list of equipment I am starting out with (mostly from Chemical Guys):
- Gilmour Foamaster II Foam
- Heavy duty water hose trigger gun manufactured by Gilmore
- 1-Gallon citrus wash & gloss synthetic citrus based hyper-Wash+GLOSS
- 16oz - Citrus Wash Daily- citrus based pH balanced hyper concentrated shampoo with EXTREME SUDS II
- Miracle Dryer extremely plush dryer towel
- Chenille microfiber wash mitt
- Premium wash mitt 3 inches thick
- Porter Cable 7424 XP Dual Action -Random orbital polisher
- Porter Cable Manufactured self backing White polishing pad
- 5.5" (ORANGE PAD)-Cutting Pad
- 5.5" (WHITE PAD)-Polishing Pad
- 5.5" (BLACK PAD)-Finishing Pad
- Extra-Flex 5" BACKING PLATE
- 16oz P40 Polish
- 16oz Hybrid Sealant Detailer
- 16oz EZ CREME GLAZE
- SCRATCH & SWIRL BUFF-SCRATCH & SWIRL REMOVER
- Vac N' Go 500 Handheld Vacuum & POWER BLOWER
- Various microfiber towels for drying, etc
- Mother's Chrome polish
- Buckets with grit guards
- Various microfiber applicator pads for hand-cleaning/detailing
- Jetseal sealant
- P20s wax
- Meguiar's leather cleaner/conditioner
- Chemical guys water spot remover
- SONAX Full Effect wheel cleaner
- Extra wash mitt for the wheels

Huge list of stuff, and I am certain I am missing some things. If anyone wants to chime in on something that would be great to add, let me know and I'll snag it! Like I said, I am learning and want to try this first before I go to town on my M3 and mess something up!

I'll edit this post later to include pics! I'll start with the before pics of my Mazda, and go from there. Oh, and because of the Hurricane coming this weekend, I might not be able to get to it until next week, but I'll make sure to update as things go along.

Thanks guys!